Four Rivers Indian Legal Services is a division of Southern Arizona Legal Aid, Inc. (SALA). SALA provides free legal assistance to low-income people over 9 counties and 11 Indian Reservations in Southeastern Arizona.
The Tribal Liaison Attorney will establish and develop relationships with tribal court administrators and relevant government agencies at the Ak-Chin Indian Community, Cocopah Indian Tribe, Fort McDowell Yavapai Nation, Fort Yuma-Quechan Indian Tribe, Salt River Pima-Maricopa Indian Community, San Carlos Apache Tribe, and the Yavapai-Apache Nation (collectively, “Indian Country Service Area”). In cases where tribal civil legal service providers exist, the Tribal Liaison Attorney will identify where and to what extent that SALA can supplement existing services through contracts with the tribe or grant funding. Where tribal civil legal service providers do not exist, the Tribal Liaison Attorney will work with SALA administration to develop programs offering civil legal aid services in those communities.
Casa Grande, located halfway between Phoenix and Tucson, is a vibrant, multicultural city offering a family-oriented environment with easy access to urban amenities.
- Applicants must be a member of the Arizona Bar or be willing to take the next bar exam. Applicants licensed at least two years in another jurisdiction may practice by special rule, Ariz. R. Sup. Ct. 38(f).
- Applicants must exhibit a high degree of sensitivity to Native American and low income communities. They should have initiative, excellent communication skills, and the ability to work well in a multi-cultural setting. Reliable transportation is required.
- Applicants should be knowledgeable in the area of general civil practice on behalf of the low-income community.
- Applicants must be willing to make a two year commitment.
Compensation: DOE; Up to five percent additional compensation to individuals fluent in Spanish. Payment of bar exam and admission fees for those not yet admitted. Student loan repayment assistance. Public Service Loan Forgiveness (PSLF) eligibility. Excellent benefits package including health insurance, disability insurance, and pension plan. Excellent work/life balance with thirty-five hour workweeks and generous leave provisions
EOE: We are committed to an environment of mutual respect, collaboration, and equal opportunity for all employees, and strongly encourage applications from people of color, immigrants, people who have been affected by mass incarceration, and other underrepresented and historically marginalized groups. We believe in building and sustaining an organization that is reflective of the communities we serve, and is diverse in work background, experience, education, race, color, national origin, sex, age, religion, marital status, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, ancestry, national origin, or sensory, mental and physical abilities. We believe that the resulting diversity is both a source of program strength and a matter of fundamental human fairness.
Southern Arizona Legal Aid, Inc.
2343 E Broadway Blvd, Suite 200 – Tucson AZ 85719-6007
(520) 623-9465 / Fax: (520) 594-6554
Deadline: Open until filled; Submit cover letter, resume, writing sample, and three references.