The person to be hired will undertake legal representation for members of the Gila River Indian Community (GRIC) in civil actions involving family law matters, consumer cases, housing, benefits, wills, and estate administration. Practice will primarily be before the Gila River Indian Community Court with additional work in the Pinal and Maricopa Superior Court systems.
- Applicants must be members of the Arizona State Bar or pass the next exam; applicants licensed two years in another jurisdiction may practice by special rule. In addition, a successful candidate should either be admitted to practice before the Gila River Community Court or be willing to apply for and be admitted to practice at GRIC within three months of hire.
- Preferred candidates should have advocacy experience before administrative tribunals or governmental agencies; education or experience in Indian law and policy highly preferred
- Applicants must exhibit a high degree of sensitivity to the legal issues faced by low-income, rural, and Native populations. They should have initiative, excellent communication skills, and the ability to work well in a multi-cultural setting.
- Ability to speak the O’otham language and familiarity with O’otham and Piipaash culture helpful. Bilingual English/Spanish also helpful.
DOE. Up to 5% additional compensation available to individuals fluent in a language other than English that is used by more than 10% of SALA’s eligible client population. SALA has an excellent benefits package, including health insurance, pension plan, and generous leave provisions.
SALA does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, sex, sexual orientation, physical or mental disability, religion, age, ancestry or national origin, gender identity or expression, pregnancy or any other characteristic protected by law.
Southern Arizona Legal Aid, Inc.
2343 E. Broadway Blvd., Suite 200
Tucson, Arizona 85719-6007
(520) 623-9465 – FAX (520) 594-6554
Email: Cover letter, resume, writing sample and three references to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Deadline: Open until filled