Southern Arizona Legal Aid, Inc. (SALA) provides services in 9 counties and 11 Indian reservations. SALA is an organization whose mission is to provide civil legal services to low-income persons in its service area in matters that affect most directly their health, safety and welfare. SALA is currently hiring for the position of Program Director for its Volunteer Lawyers Program. This person will supervise all volunteer private attorney involvement within SALA’s service area. This is a full-time, permanent attorney position. The VLP program is staffed by one attorney, two paralegals and one support personnel.
- Applicant must be a member of the Arizona Bar or pass the next exam; applicant licensed 2 years in another jurisdiction may practice by special rule;
- Applicant must have a minimum five (5) years previous experience as an attorney working with or in a program engaged in the delivery of legal services to low-income clients through private attorney involvement;
- Applicant must exhibit a high degree of sensitivity to the problems of the low-income community and must be able to work with low-income persons, community groups, the private bar and funding sources;
- Applicant must have family law experience;
- Applicant should be knowledgeable in the area of general civil practice and specifically general civil practice on behalf of low-income clients.
- Applicant must have the ability to work online by video conference and ability to travel to handle rural clinics as well.
- Applicant must have the ability to supervise a high volume caseload, including all case documentation and grant reporting.
- Supervise referrals, clinics and cases in family law, bankruptcy, debt advice, minor and adult guardianship, and employment law advice clinics in Pima County and in conjunction with Supervising Attorneys in all other SALA offices;
- Supervise Internship Program including law students and undergraduate students
- Implement strategic planning and program development
- Supervise acceptance decisions or rejection of applications for legal services through the Private Attorney Involvement Program and any other duties as required by the Executive Director.
Location: Tucson, Arizona – Full-Time Position – Equal Opportunity Employer
DOE – Up to 5% additional compensation available to individuals fluent in Spanish. SALA provides financial assistance to attorneys responsible for law school loans. SALA has an excellent benefits package including, health insurance, pension plan and generous leave provisions.
Southern Arizona Legal Aid, Inc.
2343 E. Broadway Blvd., Suite 200
Tucson. Arizona 85719-6007
(520) 623-9465 / FAX (520) 594-6554
Please submit: Resume, Cover letter, 3 References & Writing Sample
Closing Date: December 12, 2021