Southern Arizona Legal Aid, Inc. (SALA) is a not-for-profit law firm. SALA serves 9 counties in Arizona and 11 Indian Reservations. SALA is seeking a full-time Crime Victims’ Rights Staff Attorney. The Crime Victims’ Rights Attorney is responsible for providing direct legal services, information and resources and advocacy to victims of sexual and domestic violence whose civil legal needs are related to their crime victimization. The staff attorney will also be responsible for representation of clients in civil legal proceedings. Additionally, the Crime Victims’ Rights Attorney will work closely with a Crime Victims’ Services Coordinator and other project and program staff within SALA. The Crime Victims’ Rights Attorney will be based in SALA’s Tucson Office. This position requires extensive travel. The candidate will be required to travel to Safford, Clifton, Globe and Payson on a monthly basis. SALA provides rental car assistance, per diem and lodging reimbursement.
- Licensed to practice law in the state of Arizona; or be eligible to practice by motion or Rule 38(d)(1) of the Rules of Supreme Court of Arizona; the ideal candidate will have three (3) to five (5) years’ experience as a practicing attorney.
- Experience with sexual and/or domestic violence and civil and criminal court processes and crime victims’ rights helpful;
- Demonstrated excellence in legal writing and research;
- Ability to work collaboratively as well as independently;
- Access to reliable transportation and ability to travel within SALA’s service area;
- Computer literacy;
- Public presentation and speaking skills;
- Demonstrated team building, problem solving, creative/analytic thinking skills, and organization skills;
- Ability to analyze state laws and public policy and its potential effects on victims of sexual and domestic violence;
- Excellent written, oral communication and listening skills;
- Knowledge of sexual and domestic violence and related issues;
- Demonstrated ability to work in high pressure, limited resource work environment.
- Bilingual in English/Spanish helpful
Job Location: Tucson, Arizona
Salary: DOE/Up to 5% additional compensation available to individuals fluent in a language other than English, that is used by more than 10% of SALA’s eligible client population. SALA provides financial assistance to attorneys responsible for law school loans. SALA has an excellent benefits package including, health insurance, pension plan and generous leave provisions.
EOE: We are committed to an environment of mutual respect, collaboration, and equal opportunity for all employees, and strongly encourage applications from people of color, immigrants, people who have been affected by mass incarceration, and other underrepresented and historically marginalized groups. We believe in building and sustaining an organization that is reflective of the communities we serve, and is diverse in work background, experience, education, race, color, national origin, sex, age, religion, marital status, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, ancestry, national origin, or sensory, mental and physical abilities. We believe that the resulting diversity is both a source of program strength and a matter of fundamental human fairness.
Southern Arizona Legal Aid, Inc.
2343 E Broadway Blvd, Suite 200 – Tucson AZ 85719-6007
(520) 623-9465 / Fax: (520) 594-6554
Deadline: Open until filled; Submit cover letter, resume, writing sample, and three references.